Monday, December 22, 2008

My very merry Christmas






I was sifting through my Christmas cards today. A big yellow plastic folder which tumbled down from the top shelf of the cupboard and caught my attention. For years now, this has been a private ritual. I never gift people cards on Christmas; I buy them for myself. Cards that I receive are only appreciated if people don't defile them by scribbling their inane wishes on the beautiful artwork.
Over the past decade, I have built up an appreciable collection of what I think are some of the most beautiful pieces of work I have ever laid my eyes on.
Every year, for about 11 years now, the week preceding Christmas has always been filled with trepidation mixed with a sprinkling of joy and expectation. The new fir, the smell of the fresh green leaves, the holly, the tinsel, the big fake gold embossed bell that shone much too brightly to be real, the puffy Father Christmas and the tiny sprigs of mistletoe; everything topped with the cake from the best bakery in town and the best cards collected from every possible outlet in town. It was almost magical.

I am busy now. Went to college today; worked; drank some coffee; talked to friends; discussed strategies; planned my day tomorrow. I call it "Christmas Shopping" now. I can't fit in my schedule tomorrow. I still haven't bought a card. I have given up on the cake. Its too much trouble anyway.
Just for a moment today, while I picked up the big yellow folder, I imagined what it would mean not to grow up. Then I realized there is no going back.

11 comments:

Malabika said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Malabika said...

Those days of joy and happiness were very special,not only to you ,it was special to me as well.It used to give me bundle of joy and happiness.We used to make a lot of fun and celebrate Christmas in our own way.I can remember very vividly all those years of your growing up.This year you are far away from me,studying and growing up in a very distinguished way but remained as little as ever to me.I can remember your glistened little eyes with joy and happiness. Wish you a merry (!) Christmas

Butterfly said...

You have collected Christmas cards...Wow! That's something I am hearing for the first time.I feel its a great hobby. Please continue with it.
Around three years ago,I used to exchange cards with my friends. But, now we exchange Christmas SMSs!

Shalmi said...

i like this part:

"it was almost magical."

also how you change tone in the last paragraph. putting aside childhood observations for more important things.
subtle but sweet.

Anushka said...

I like the concept of buying cards for oneself. Makes a hell lot of sense.

Dhrubo said...

Oh, does it?

Dhrubo said...

Sinjini,
I collect all sorts of cards, not just the Christmas ones. And I exchange SMSes too.

Puneet said...

Really novel idea, but in my case I let my friends do the shopping for the cards for me. I am too lazy to make out my own likings. A merry christmas to you buddy, and a happy new year.

Dhrubo said...

Thank You. And I am incredibly lazy too.

Deepali said...

:)

You must have a brilliant collection by now :)
Also I doubt you will ever get a card from someone with anything written on the inside. My favourite birthday cards (not that I get too many) are the ones I got from office. Everyone in office writes a message in it (most end up being 'Happy Birthday' only but that's okay). Always made my day when I got that card.

Dhrubo said...

Magical memory, isn't it?