Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Vote and a little Ghosh

Exhilarating is the word.There is no other I can think of which can describe the events of the last few days.It has been a whirlwind last week and a half,both in my personal life and of course,in the national scene.There has been a little fun,lots of heated discussions,a little more fun at the expense of the nation's future and the discovery of Omar Abdullah.

It does seem eons ago that I walked into the cinema to watch Rituparno Ghosh's latest,"Khela".I was disappointed.There was the trademark Ghosh style,the much-better-than-usual Manisha Koirala and a story which seemed unpredictable for the most part.However,I had gone in with much higher expectations which were not gratified.The little boy was adorable,the quaint manner of narration was sweet,the North Bengal scenery breathtaking and there was a discernable sense of intimacy,closeness which the director managed to weave throughout the film.The subtle underlying pain was most elegantly shown.The ending was beautiful.In any other director's hands,this would be hailed as great cinema.however,Ghosh has dazzled me with his brilliance so many times earlier that the perfect little intimate tale was inadequate.It lacked the genius,the "Oh my god!" moment,the one magic moment of divine brilliance.

Trouble is still brewing in college over my obstinate stand against ragging.I was accused of splintering the unity of the class.People are going mad,which must be a good sign for they don't tell you to shut up if your words aren't having an effect.I am on the verge of being accused of taking away a fundamental right...Things are hotting up.

The fun was of course provided by the sycophancy of the Left at the centre.Delhi seemed quite like a gladiatorial ring.I like it better than T-20.There are all the hourly updates and scores but the spice seems more here.Who wants Shoiab and Dhoni?Give me Mayavati and Sonia Gandhi any day!

And where was Omar Abdullah?Either he speaks very rarely or I have been completely stupid in missing his speeches.I had almost fallen asleep during the trust vote when Omar Abdullah's two-minute speech roused me.He not only spoke forcefully and made himself heard over the din but was coherent and witty.He is indeed a very good orator.He has got that one quality Rahul Gandhi lacks...intelligence.And he makes Somnath babu smile!


Another post about the trust vote in a couple of days....I am waiting for the second act."Picture abhi baaki hai mere dost!"

P.S-Awful quote,I know!Apologies.

5 comments:

Butterfly said...

Awful quote? No, I don't think so!

I don't like all of Rituparno Ghosh's movies. 'Shubho Maharoth' is excellent. But, I hate 'Chokher Bali'. Haven't watched this one though...

I understand about your condition in college now-a-days. What to say? The senior students just won't accept any change in this matter. This has become a sort of tradition which a single student won't be able to stop. I appreciate your bravery and the way you went against everybody and expressed your opinion. I just hope that everyone is able to adjust with you soon. I also hope that there are more people like you in the future batches of students.

And, Omar Abdullah! I don't even remember when I had last seen his name in the newspapers.

Butterfly said...

Oh, why did you change your template? The previous one was very unique.

Dhrubo said...

Thank you Sinjini!
You are right...I hated Chokher Baali.I just hope ragging is stamped out by the time you are ready for college!

Oh and the template change was because of a certain somebody with big ears...also known as Titash.

Anonymous said...

This one is appealing, goes better with the title of this blog!

Simple and smart!

Dhrubo said...

Thank you!I am glad you liked it.