Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Today

I had planned to take a break from blogging for six months.Life had seemed too engrossing,too mundane,too regular for me to share.I didn't plan to break the vow today.But then something happened.
It is today that I realized how difficult it is to stop people from what they ardently wish to do,even if they themselves had admitted at one point in time,albeit in private,that it does show them in poor light and is WRONG.Perhaps greater trouble are those people who think what they do highlights their talents,veils their imperfections and spruces up their "cool" factor.People who wish to see can be lead onward.People who only think they can see cannot.

There was a concerted effort this year in my college to stop the menace otherwise known as Ragging;euphemised by the wishfully blind who like to call it "orientation"/"interaction.Students chose,in droves,not to undertake the stupid and horrifying "custom" of hazing the "juniors"(rather condescending !)They insisted that they wanted to get to know the students,for a change.
I was buoyed.With so many standing up for something their own petty interests,there was truly hope for betterment.It was truly difficult to comprehend why something so trivial wasn't getting rooted out,especially when so many were against it.All the first year students were greeted with toffees on their second day.A friend of mine messaged his girlfriend that they had decided to become "caring seniors".

The question was answered today.I was taught that just because people know something is wrong,they will never stand by it.They will waver on their pledge;they will instead do what is convenient.Most of the people who had pledged their support found it too difficult to honour their word.The ragging started in earnest today.I was told that if someone wants to rag,its his liberty to do.I was shown proofs of how the first year students were eager to get humiliated by their "seniors" and how I was being the wet blanket.The day drew to a close the same way it had every year.With massaged egos the seniors walked out triumphant;the juniors weren't vanquished either,holding,with pride,onto their solace that they would be the perpetrators of the humiliation the next year.Life went on.
Hindsight is perfect.And thus as the day draws to a close,I can say that I was sadly deceived in the character of man.A friend of mine today quoted Frederich Nietzsche....he said the force behind a man's life is "the will to power".And as I sat there and rued my loss,I suddenly realized that the win had been a hollow one after all.There was no collective desire to weed out ragging.There was simply an urge to look noble.There had been no change of heart.There simply was a change of tactic.
Sociologists say ragging is for those with an insecure persona.It is the perfect way to get your ego boosted...today,however,I saw that it was far more complex.There was a ego massage involved,yes,but far more pivotal was the power which the seniors were bestowed with.Making a guy marry another guy didn't emote as much fun as the reverential stares and the awe effused with fear which their eyes betrayed.They were in charge.

I was wrong.It perhaps cost me a few friends but the lesson is the better learnt for that.No one wants change.Because oppression always facilitates the privileged.The seniors rag because they can;it is "fun" and for a few weeks,the nobody-s get to become somebody-s.The juniors get ragged because it will be their turn next year.That is tradition.We all make pledges to make the world a better place.We all hope and pray and curse the previous generation.It is a pity though,that we don't act.Maybe because its too difficult.

6 comments:

Butterfly said...

That day one of my friends asked me that when I will be in college, if I will be asked by the seniors to smoke, whether I would agree or not? I promptly answered "No",but as she replied and as I realized later, I would have to agree to be accepted well by everyone in the college. I know it will be tough but that's the way it is...There's no scope for rebellion or change.

People refuse to accept changes, like you've said...

@G said...

I'm surprised people even "posed" to eradicate the practice of ragging... for all I know, 30 seconds of fame is a lot more than what fakes can ask for. Ragging juniors does give one the fake sense of superiority, or so it seems. I was told ragging is a way to "bond better" with juniors... I never really got that concept.
Sad as it is, it's not going to change, and we will sit here forever... only writing about it..

Deepali said...

I hate the idea of ragging. I never quite understood what fun people got out of the activity. I never 'lost friends' though but I did have a lot of friends who did rag juniors and their premise was always that they had got ragged so why not rag others when they can.

I would have always assumed that if I got ragged and hated it, I would actually not rag people but I guess that kind of thought process doesn't usually work. Maybe it's too hypothetical. I don't know, I rarely see it in practice.

I don't know how anyone can view 'ragging' as fun. Also it's okay if people being ragged are unaffected by the whole episode but there are many who do get affected and severely. No body bears the guilt for hurting this person and I hate that.

Anyway I doubt things will ever change. And that's the most unfortunate thing.

Dhrubo said...

Sinjini,
I sincerely hope you are spared the harrowing experience.I know there will be many who will tell you its only a breeze but it never is,not for rational beings.
I pray though that you get out of it unscathed.And if you do,try as I did,albeit in vain;maybe you will open the door!

Dhrubo said...

Anwesha,though depressing,I am forced to agree.Maybe it will never get rooted out,because people will never stop being hypocrites!

Dhrubo said...

Deepali,
I share the despondency.Things don't seem like they'll ever look up,partially because people seldom take a stand,instead choosing to repudiate the action internally and doing what is convenient in company.
It functions on a weird psyche-ragging begets more ragging.Bleak times await us.