Thursday, February 14, 2008

The day I love to hate


I am supposed to study now...but it is very evident that I am not!I am much too euphoric and not because of the reasons an adoloscent guy is usually happy on the night of Valentine.I am happy cuz I have survived another year without falling into the dating quagmire...Does it seem cynical?Well,it is!!

I don't know from where I picked up this unrelenting cynicism about the present concept of dating but then as far and as long as I can remember,it has been this way.I havealways hated books which talk about the next step after people become friends...books which place flings at an emotional scale higher than friendship and bonding.For that simple reason,I find myself at odds with celebrated pieces of literature like "Five Point Someone".But it is not as if I am against love.I am not a misogynist.I am a sucker for "Romance "movies.I even like films like "Shakespeare in love" or saccharine sweet "Notting Hill"....

Contradiction?I used to think so too....


Not anymore though.Its the society which is hypocritical,not me...atleast I think so.Yes,I have got a problem with people hooking up just because its the "in" thing.But I have a greater problem with the society which accepts and actively promotes such kind of behaviour under the garb of tomfoolery like "guys will be guys" and "there is no place for love".
I have a problem with people who rave and rant about the piety of love and the divinity of the affair and then go buy Archies cards to profess their "divine" life.Who are so enamoured with the notion of "Hindi film romance" that they talk of lynching their lives just because someone has decided to move on with their life.I have a problem with a society which behaves with sickening morality when it comes to accepting homosexuality but bends over backwards in order to accomodate Greeting Card Day!A society which bars two men from looking at each other but has no problem with lewdness as long as it is perpetrated by a guy and a girl.

I might not fall in love.Not today.Not tomorrow.Maybe never.But if love exists in the form that I see it all around me...I am glad to be alone.It isn't love that I have a problem with,its what we have made out of it!!




9 comments:

Butterfly said...

MF.:-)

I agree with everything that you have written in this post.

"It isn't love that I have a problem with, it's what we have made out of it!"--That's well said.

Titash said...

Any particular reason for such solidarity for homosexuals?

Dhrubo said...

Thank you Sinjini...Its great to know that atleast there are some who haven't fallen into the "Love" trap.
And Titash...I don't really think so.I mean,I get flustered by the very fact that we brand people by their sexual orientation...without even pausing to think that they might be complete individuals!

Scribbles! said...

I love the heart picture.

Dhrubo said...

You liked the picture?Not the thing that followed it?????????????

Deepali said...

I always say - Happy Commercialization Day on Feb 14th.

Scribbles! said...

haha...ya what u wrote made a lot sense...nicely written. but the heart picture is what caught my eye...n remained in memory :D anyway have a nice day.

Dhrubo said...

Hurrah!I atleast made sense!!!Great.Thank you!

Quaint Murmur said...

Cynical, yes. And true to a large extent- at least the fact about what the concept of love has become.

Still, society is not as accepting as you think it is- of anything that it doesn't understand- even guy-girl canoodling.

And I hope you do fall in love at some point. Yes, you have highlighted all the reasons why it is a disgraceful affair these days, but that is mostly because the people who indulge in it don't realise that real love is all about the stuff that happens at the smallest moments every day. A hug when you need it, someone to vent to, a smile shared- cliched, but very, very true.

And what aspect of life doesn't have two sides to it? You've got the wrongs down right. But I hope with all my heart [even if it's not something you hope for yourself], that you experience it at some point.

It is one of the things that makes life worth living:)