Friday, December 14, 2007

The signal

stopping by a red signal,
i rolled down the windows of my mind,
and was startled to find,


a girl, on the threshold of adulthood,
on the pavement, by the road where my car stood-
all her clothes had gone astray,
and her hair was tinted with premature grey...
she stumbled on step by step,knocking over people in tow...
didn't look behind at the mess she had left-

her eyes were hollowand kind of mad....
meeting my eyes,she gave a short little bow-
stopped for a second,over a coin she did bend,
tossed it and as it came down,
encased it in her gown....

she leaned by a lamp-post,
seemed to steady her resolve,
took out a phone and perhaps called here mum...
the sun shone overheadbut clouds gathered over her....

and as the signal turned green,
and the cars revved up to add to the din-
she resolutely stepped onto the roadway,
before a speeding truck heading for the bay.

it seemed the day ended that moment,
and as over the dead girl they bent-
i couldn't but remember,

the last glimpse of a face sad,
with tears streaming but with a smile....
maybe all those grieved ,grieved in vain,
maybe the truck ended all her pain....

and i couldn't but wish,
that she might have a better day,
that she is set free-
as i started my car and drove away...

4 comments:

Butterfly said...

Beautiful words. Simply beautiful!You have written the whole poem so thoughtfully.

CLAP, CLAP, CLAP!

Deepali said...

thank god you dont write things you literally see. Seeing something like that would be difficult to deal with.

Butterfly said...

I just wanted to know something from u. Thought U might be able to help me. You are a student of St.Xavier's College in Kolkata, right? So, do u know which subjects one can study if one studies at St.Xavier's School in the 11th standard(I'm talking about Humanities stream)?
Will you please help me by giving me this information?:-)

Dhrubo said...

Thank you.Yes,seeing this would have been horrifying and I don't think I would have been able to write about it.
I'll get the information as soon as I can,Sinjini.
Thanks again for the appreciation.I don't really deserve it.