Sunday, August 9, 2009

Of phones.

I have lost my phone. Officially misplaced. People know it has been stolen. It was.
At least I think it was.

It was new. It had a dent on the top left corner. It looked nice. Much too nice.

This is the third phone I have lost in the past 18 months. There will be many more.

I would have loved to say that I have lost a part of myself. That I miss the phone. The characteristic ring. But I don't really. I hate the inconvenience. But I don't want the phone back. I want a phone back.

I guess it was with me for too less a time to forge a bond. I am trying to be sad. Repentant. Responsible.

There are things more about the phone that will make you scream. Things like how the first caller was him. The last too. How both time, I was left stung. The first time he spoke haughtily. The last time, not at all.
I didn't want to type out these things. But now that I have, I think it gives the whole post a pretty fashionable melancholy feel.

I don't miss my phone. I like the fact that I can blame all the ills of my life on it. And now that it is gone, hope again. Even if in vain.

I will start calling people again tomorrow. Today is transition. Not from phone to phone. From life to life.

4 comments:

Deepali said...

I lost my phone once - was furious at myself and upset about it. It wasn't very new about 8 months old or so and it's not like I had 'forged a bond' with it but just couldn't believe that I lost it. I even know how and when I lost it which made it worse :(

But again life goes on - lost a few contacts and stuff - which made me realize the importance of having a backup of all data that's on the phone. Now I am much more careful.

topshe said...

Sometimes I want to kill my phone before it makes me dead (inside?).

Anonymous said...

You did'nt let me know your feelings when I was actually saddened by the incident!

Butterfly said...

Sweet post. :-) I would have behaved in the same manner had I lost my phone. Its amazing how our phones become a kind of life-blood even without our realizing it...