Sunday, June 7, 2009

Realize

It has been a day of realizations. And an unexpectedly irritating Sunday.

Was watching cartoons at 8 this morning.The mystery that Scooby and the gang were trying to unravel seemed childish and insipid. I crave childish and insipid. And then, in the midst of Scooby's atrocious Hindi gibber-jabber, I recalled why I loved him. The song, rather, a song, that used to be a part of every episode...I would sit and bear the torture for that one song...How I loved that one song; How I miss it now.


People who don't receive their calls time and again are irritating. Even if they are your best friend. Also very irritating are the "Missed Call" people. Aaargh.

And as I am typing this out, one of the irritating "I never receive my calls" person did receive my call and it turned out he was sleeping...Being drowsy adds this sweetness to his voice and I can't be angry with him.

Had the most awesome day ever yesterday. A Sri-Lankan friend is in town and we went out for lunch, walked and walked and walked and rounded off sipping amazing tea while watching the throng milling in Park Street...He has come down from Bombay( I insist) and has been travelling across India alone for the past month. Atop a bridge off Patna, the sun setting over the Ganges, he said he had wished there were someone by his side; he had wished he were not alone. Melancholy, yes; but also strangely surreal.


As much as I feign empathy for the cyclone victims, deep down I detest donating money. Biting realization.
Friends can be selfish. Rather, people you call your friends can be selfish. My Lankan friends' friends can't spare an afternoon to see him. And to think the only reason for his being in Calcutta is to meet them...



I find blogging difficult nowadays; signs of advanced age, they tell me.

4 comments:

Butterfly said...

I love Scooby Doo, but not in Hindi...There was a time when I would watch Scooby Doo every single day and Scooby would be my only passion and everything in life!

I am one of the "Missed Call" people, by the way! :-)

Shalmi said...

That's why I watch late night Tom and Jerry instead. They don't talk. You can still hear their voices though.

Anonymous said...

"...and we went out for lunch, walked and walked and walked and rounded off sipping amazing tea while watching the throng milling in Park Street..
Atop a bridge off Patna, the sun setting over the Ganges, he said he had wished there were someone by his side"

Did you spend the night tossing the salad after that?

- Darius

Dhrubo said...

Feel free to join. I see you're eager.